More Real Estate | Facebook App

Protecting your Property Investments

Building Insurance vs. Landlord Insurance:

Protecting Your Property Investment


As the end of the financial year approaches, it's essential to assess your insurance policies to ensure you have adequate coverage. If you're considering switching from a monthly to an annual premium for a discount, making the payment before the end of the financial year allows you to claim a deduction sooner. One crucial aspect of insurance for property investors is having both building insurance and landlord insurance. Let's delve into the differences between these two policies and why it's essential to have both to safeguard your investment.

What is Building Insurance?

Many property investors mistakenly assume that standard home and contents insurance will sufficiently protect their investment property. However, these policies are primarily designed for owner-occupiers, providing coverage for loss and damage caused by weather events, burglary, theft, and accidents. For property investors, building and contents insurance offer comprehensive protection for both the property itself and all fixtures and fittings, whether the property is tenanted or vacant.

Building insurance covers the structural elements of the residential property, including garages, sheds, fences, gates, built-in swimming pools, spas, and essential infrastructure like electricity, gas, water, internet, and phone connections. On the other hand, contents insurance for property investors protects fixtures and fittings such as carpets, curtains, internal blinds, furniture, white goods, and non-built-in swimming pools and spas. With a building and contents policy, you are shielded from accidents that may cause damage to the property and its fixtures, regardless of whether they were intentional or not.

What is Landlord Insurance?

While building and contents insurance provide coverage for the physical structure and its contents, they do not protect against other risks associated with property investment. A landlord insurance policy covers the specific risks faced by landlords, primarily focusing on rent default and loss of rent due to repairs.

For instance, if a tenant falls behind on rent and needs eviction, and you discover significant property damage after they vacate, you could face substantial financial losses in terms of lost rent and repair expenses. Landlord insurance safeguards you in these situations by providing coverage for lost rent due to default and vacancies required for repairs. Additionally, landlord insurance offers protection against legal liability if a tenant sustains injuries on your property due to your negligence in maintaining a safe environment.

Even with responsible, long-term tenants, unforeseen accidents can occur. Thus, it's best to secure comprehensive insurance coverage for your property, its contents, and protection from the financial risks of being a landlord. If you're considering upgrading your landlord insurance or taking out a new policy, doing so before the tax time allows you to make the most of timely deductions. To determine the right level of coverage for your unique situation, consulting with a qualified financial or legal advisor is recommended.

Remember, the information provided in this article is general in nature and should not be considered financial or legal advice. Before making any decisions regarding your insurance policies, please seek guidance from professional financial and legal advisors to ensure your individual needs and circumstances are adequately addressed. Protecting your property investment is of utmost importance, and having the right insurance coverage can offer peace of mind and financial security for years to come.